12/30/10

Hospitality Is Not My Gift

    Okay, I admit it! I’m not the Suzy Homemaker type. I barely know the difference between a colander and a custard. Did you know that dusting can mean putting something on something OR taking something off something? You dust the coffee table – you dust the coffee cake. No wonder I’m confused. 
    I don’t really have any excuses for not being more domestic, either. We live in a world where appliances do all the hard work for us. The grocery store has food – it’s not like we have to plant and harvest it ourselves. I just don’t really enjoy it very much. I love the results, but getting there is not fun for me. However, my friends still hang out at my house occasionally; my kids (when they lived at home as teens) invited their friends over and nobody got sick; and I’ve even been known to host an occasional Tupperware® party. I guess I’m somewhat hospitable, but I’m sure there’s room for improvement.
    Hospitality is important to God. After all, He’s in heaven preparing a home and a banquet for us. He wants us to practice hospitality here as well. Romans 12:13b says it plainly: “Practice hospitality.”
    Over the next three days I'll show you three examples of hospitality in the face of adverse circumstances.

1 comment:

Wendy's Wanderland said...

Dusting can be taking something off? Just kidding, we sure know that one! I had a thought. I wonder if we had to "work" at it (as in growing our own food, stoking the fire just right to cook the food on the wood stove) if we would enjoy sharing the fruits of our labor with other people.